Skip to main content

Caught In Lies: Jimmy's World and the Wafer Caper



     Though not as often as I should, I have considered that the news I'm exposed to may be factually incorrect, and I like to think that I'm good at checking sources to know if something is true or not. I don't consider myself to be someone who blindly believes anything they see on the internet. Most of the time I check the source because I don't want to seem dumb for believing something that was fake. 

     My reaction to the "Wafer caper" as I will be referring to the article about two senior staff members of the Telegraph Journal getting fired over a fake news story was that of shock and a bit of humor. The original story about Harper putting the wafer in his pocket isn't exactly the hardest hitting news story I've seen, and the fact that the paper had to lie about it to run the story is funny to me. Just the fact that it was all fake is a shock to me because didn't anyone bother to fact check before the story was published? The fake story about "Jimmy's World" and the journalist who fabricated the story is more understandable to me. From what little I know about journalism I do know it can be a competitive and stressful environment. What surprises me is that there isn't more journalist who fabricate news to satisfy their editors.

     I somewhat agree with Journalist Jack Shafer's aggression that “most liars make things up for the simple reason that they don't have the talent or the ability to get the story any other way.” While some journalists may be lazy and don't care or put effort into their stories, the pressure of the environment they work in could cause good journalists to do stupid things.

     Given what Shafer says, colleges and universities should make sure graduating journalism students have a grasp on how stressful things can get, but in my opinion no amount of school can prepare someone for how they would react in certain situations. Everyone handles stress differently. There'd be no exact way to prepare someone for everything.

     I think that when conflicts of ethics arise newspaper ombudsmen are a good help. They are good for critiquing and responding to newspapers, as It is nice to have a third party point of view that isn't the general public or the newspaper itself. It sounds like it would help stop biases and things like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard News vs. Soft News

Hard News: At least 54 killed in Egypt after police operation ambushed      I believe this article would be considered "hard news" because nothing is sugar-coated. The article states cold hard facts about the story and doesn't beat around the bush with anything. This story isn't meant to entertain the reader, but to provide facts about the attack. The article is informative and gives insight into what is happening in Egypt, and while it may not be in the human interest to see this story, it needs to be told. Soft News: Taiwan Police Department's Newest Recruits are Sleeping on the Job      This article would definitely be considered "soft news" because its purpose is to entertain the reader with a lighthearted cute story about the puppies joining the department. The headline of the story leads the reader to believe the story will be about actual officers but leaves them pleasantly surprised. It also provides some very cute pictures of the "recruits

Facing Fake News

Birth defects due to Fukushima Radiation?       My initial reaction to the picture above was shocked. At first, I thought that it could be real but then I went on a wild search for the truth. The birth defects in these daisies have supposedly been mutated by radiation from the Fukushima nuclear plant, however, a reverse image search will lead you to an article  on National Geographic that explains how it may be caused by radiation but scientists aren't so sure. They believe it is caused by fasciation which basically causes two flowers to grow on the same stem. It also makes certain parts of the plant cylindrical. It is easy to assume that they are caused by radiation, it is strong enough evidence to believe it is true as "seeing is believing." and the caption is convincing. I found the article by going to TinEye and uploading the image and finding the link to the original post and the National Geographic article. An article on Global News that I found also confirms